This is an upgrade and expansion through the Hydroelectric Standard Offer Program (HESOP) – municipal stream. Thompson Road, RR 1, Horton
Renfrew Power Generation Inc. owns and operates two dams and two power generating plants on the Bonnechere River, in the Town of Renfrew. In addition, there are 3 control dams on Golden Lake, Round Lake and Lake Clear that are used as reservoirs to moderate the flow of the river throughout the year. The Lower Plant is a two-unit hydroelectric station. This station has its own dam structure which holds back water from the discharge of the Upper Plant. The station was put into service in 1902 consisting of two generation units (Units 4 & 5), and has an installed capacity of 1.003 MW at a head of 11.7 metres.
The Lower Plant is a run-of-river operation. The generating cycle starts with spring freshet where water flows exceed the generator capacity and water is bypassed till early summer. During this period, the reservoir lakes are filled. Mid summer to mid fall, the reservoirs are drawn down but there is insufficient water flow to run the plant to capacity. Fall rains will partially fill the reservoir lakes until at freeze up in mid-December and the Lakes are drawn down to the pre spring freshet levels.
The Lower Plant consists of a dam structure, which consists of four spillways. Three spillways use stop logs for level control and one has a steel gate for flood control. There are two intakes with trash racks and headwork gates, two steel pipe penstocks approximately 75 metres in length and 2.2 metres in diameter. There are steel gates to the inlets of each of the penstocks that can be lowered to isolate the downstream equipment.
The Lower Plant is connected to the Renfrew Hydro System 4.16kV MS2-F3 feeder.
This hydroelectric generating station generates approximately 6,185 MWh of renewable energy per year.
Location: Renfrew, ON
River System: Bonnechere River
Nameplate Capacity: 1.003 MW
OPA Contracted Capacity: 0.999 MW
Operator: Renfrew Power Generation Inc.
Turbines: Two horizontal Francis turbines
Originally Built: 1902
Coordinate: 45°28’47.97″N, 76°41’22.52″ W
Ontario Power Authority