- The Marmora Pumped Storage power generation proposal is located in Marmora, Ontario, adjacent to the Crowe River.The Marmora project will use an open pit and an upper reservoir in a closed-loop configuration. Combination pumps/generators will pump water up into the reservoir during off-peak periods and then release it back down into the mine during on-peak periods to generate electricity. The design provides for an average head of 140 meters, producing 400 MW of generated power to enable time-shifting to support renewable energy sources and grid demand patterns.
- Learn more about the project
- Technology: Pumped Storage Hydro
- Main Equipment: Francis combination pumps/generators
- Fuel: Water
- Capacity: 400 MW
- Proponent: Northland Power
Photo by Linda Heron