Toronto, ON, June 17, 2013 – Trent Energy Inc. today celebrated the grand opening in Peterborough of the Stanley Adamson Powerhouse, a hydroelectric project developed by Trent Energy, a subsidiary of Peterborough Utilities Inc., together with Trent University. This marks the redevelopment and expansion of a hydroelectric facility that has been in operation since 1921.
The redevelopment and expansion project was enabled by the Ontario Power Authority’s Hydroelectric Contract Initiative (HCI), a program to negotiate new contracts for qualified existing Ontario hydroelectric generation facilities, as part of the province’s commitment to increase its supply of clean, renewable generation.
Located on the Otonabee River, the Stanley Adamson Powerhouse was contracted under the HCI program in June 2010, which gave the developer the certainty to make investments in the facility, increasing its capacity from 1.6 megawatts (MW) to approximately 3.9 MW. The facility has a 20-year contract term, beginning this month.
The redevelopment project included the replacement of the original generating equipment (circa 1890 and 1920), a restored historic powerhouse to accommodate the updated equipment, and the replacement of the mechanical and electrical station services. See full article here.
Project Name: Stanley Adamson Powerhouse – Expansion
Project Location: Peterborough, ON
Installed Capacity: 3.9 MW
Contract: Hydroelectric Contract Initiative (HCI)
Proponent: Trent Energy Inc.